Anatoly Slivko

Anatoly Slivko

Anatoly Slivko was a Soviet serial killer born in December 1938 who was convicted of the murders of seven boys between the ages of seven and seventeen in and around the Russian city of Stavropol between 1964 and 1985. Slivko was a married father of two young children, a much respected member of the community who even ran a children’s club.

The incident which sparked Slivko’s fantasies

In 1961, the year he turned 23 years old, Slivko happened to witness a gruesome traffic accident in which a boy in his early teens who was wearing a Young Pioneers (Soviet equivalent of the Scouts) uniform was killed. For reasons Slivko either could not or would not explain, the scene sexually excited Slivko, he recalled the accident vividly: the smell of gasoline and fire. Slivko quickly exploited his position at the children’s club he ran to relive the fantasies of this accident: once or twice a year, he would form a close friendship with a boy usually aged between thirteen and seventeen. The boy would be short for his age, and would be wearing the Young Pioneers uniform (just like the boy in the traffic accident). Slivko would gain the boy’s confidence and tell him of an experiment he knew which involved a controlled hanging into unconsciousness, to stretch the spine, after which, the boy was assured, Slivko would revive him.

Over the course of 21 years, Slivko managed to persuade forty-three boys to take part in this ‘experiment’. Once the boy was unconscious, Slivko would caress and fondle him, take films in which he would arrange the body in suggestive positions, and masturbate. In thirty-six cases, Slivko revived the boys, and they, cautioned by Slivko into silence, resumed their lives unknowing just how lucky they were.

In seven cases, however, Slivko’s behaviour became bloody. Once these victims were unconscious, Slivko dismembered their bodies, poured gasoline on their limbs and torso, and set the remains on fire to remind himself of the traffic accident which sparked his arousal. He usually kept the victims’ shoes as a memento. As with his surviving victims, Slivko both photographed and filmed the entire process.


Slivko killed his first victim, an unidentified homeless boy whose age he estimated to be around 15 years old, in 1964. Slivko claimed this particular victim was killed unintentially. Upon being unable to revive this boy once he was unconscious, Slivko dismembered the boys body and buried him. He also destroyed the film and photographs he had taken of this particular victim. Nine years later, on November 14, 1973 a 15-year-old boy named Aleksander Nesmeyanov disappeared in Nevinnomyssk, southern RSFSR. Two years later, on May 11, 1975, an eleven year old boy named Andrei Pogasyan vanished. The boy’s mother told the police that a man had made some video recordings in a nearby forest and that her son was going to participate, but the police didn’t do anything to prevent this because they knew the man and he had won awards for some of his videos. The man’s name was Anatoly Slivko and he had a club for boys named Chergid In winter 1975, a prison inmate claimed he knew where Aleksander Nesmeyanov was buried, but the police searched the area and found nothing, proving the claim was false. Five years later, in 1980, a thirteen year old boy named Sergei Fatsiev disappeared, as with Nesmeyanov and Pogasyan, he was a member of Chergid. The next victim was a fifteen year old named Slava Khovistik, who was killed in 1982. On July 23, 1985, Slivko killed his final victim, a thirteen year old named Sergei Pavlov. He disappeared after telling a neighbour he was going to meet the leader of Chergid.

In November 1985, a prosecutor named Tamara Languyeva, investigating the disappearance of Sergei Pavlov, took an interest in the club’s activities; however, she had no evidence that there was anything illegal in the way the club was run. The prosecutor interrogated many boys who had been to the club and they said they had suffered “temporary amnesia” and that Slivko had practiced many experiments with them.

Following a long inquiry, Anatoly Slivko was arrested in December 1985 and accused of seven murders, seven counts of sexual abuse and necrophilia. In January and February 1986, Slivko lead investigators to the whereabouts of the bodies of six of his victims, although he was unable to locate the body of his first victim. In 1986 he was sentenced to death. He was held on Death Row in Novocherkassk prison for three years. In 1989 he worked with the police to help arrest another serial killer Andrei Chikatilo who had killed 53 children and women. Only a few hours after he was interviewed by the police, Anatoly Slivko was executed.[1][2]


© This material from Wikipedia is licensed under the GFDL.

Retrieved from